So you got your first pair of legit handcrafted cowboy boots, but now what? We explain what outfits and pieces of clothing you can wear with your new boots.
For most situations, the general rule of thumb is to wear one Western-themed piece with your outfit. So if you're wearing cowboy boots, leave the bolo tie and chaps at home. You're not dressing like Woody from Toy Story, your outfit should be a thought out decision.
What Tops to Wear with Cowboy Boots
Collared Shirts - Collared shirts are tried and true when it comes to cowboy boots. They pair perfectly with jeans or dress pants. Solid color dress shirts work really well. Same with more casual shirts like plaid or flannel.
T-Shirts - If going for the relaxed look, nothing looks more comfortable than a solid color tee shirt and jeans. Skip shirts with fashion name brands. Nike and cowboy boots don't really go together.
Denim Jackets - Wearing a denim trucker jacket will always look good with cowboy boots. However, if you have a blue denim jacket, avoid the Canadian tuxedo by wearing different color pants like black denim or khakis.
- Sport Coats - Sport coats quickly can take you from casual to snazzy. Even with a simple solid colored t-shirt, a sport coat will add lots of sophistication to your outfit.
What Pants to Wear with Cowboy Boots
Jeans - Can't go wrong with a great pair of jeans. You'll want a boot cut for obvious reasons. We suggest you have a pair for working out in the field and one for going out. Most work jeans have a relaxed fit so they wouldn't look good if you're heading out on a date. For casual jeans, we suggest slim fitting and a dark wash. We like Levi 527 for a slimmer look.
Dress Pants - You won't look out of place with a pair of cowboy boots and dress pants. Especially for situations like a country themed wedding, a casual suit will look great in cowboy boots.
- Khakis / Chinos - Not quite dressy but a step up from your standard pair of denim, try wearing your boots with a pair of khakis for a great casual look. You'll have more color choices too like olive, tan, and brown.
What Accessories to Wear with Cowboy Boots
- Belt - You don't need rattlesnake skin. A simple leather belt will do. We really like tanned leather that will get a great patina over time.
- Hats - Cowboy hats are great for situations but in certain environments, you'll stick out as "the cowboy". We suggest to wear them at concerts, rodeos, or working out in the field. Leave them at home if you're going out to the bars.
- Spurs - Unless you're on a horse or playing a bad guy in a movie don't do it.
To stay caught up on all things about handcrafted western boots, including tips on what to wear with cowboy boots, follow the Soto Boots blog!